Sunday, January 13, 2013

Raise Your Glass

The whole song fits me, really.  I just love this song.  And when a girlfriend of mine gave it to me on a cd to help 'wake me up' it kind of did.  At least it did with one man, but it lead me to two others.  While I identify with it on almost every level.  It became a theme song for my A-Team not only because I knew it would remind them of me, but for the one specific part that describes us all, to everyone around us.

"So raise your glass if you are wrong, in all the right ways.  All my underdogs.  We will never be, anything but LOUD and nitty gritty, dirty, little, freaks!"

And honestly, I have always felt like this.  Pretty much in any relationship that I've ever had there has been a feeling of 'you and me against the world'.  And sometimes that world is our group of friends, sometimes just the world in general not understanding, geeks, nerds, freaks, and the people in your life that you think are invisible.  I guarantee you WE ARE NOT.

With the current trend of geeks, and nerds having been the new 'cool', it's hard to tell the real ones from the posers.  I can tell you from experience real geeks and nerds do get laid, and physical appearance does not matter.  Some are actually attractive, even without their glasses.  So that's not the whole defining issue.  I think at some points in our lives ALL of us are viewed as some kind of freak, misfit.  It just depends on who, or what group,  you are with at the moment.

But for me, I have always felt that I attract nerds, geeks, freaks and misfits.  And I believe that is because I am one of them, and they see me for who I am, and love me as I am.  I've been very lucky to have met the men and women that I have known and loved and dared to call friend.  And it doesn't matter if we are spending time gaming, going to concerts, or singing in bars at the top of our lungs, we are together and our union makes us visible.   ("What part of party don't you understand?"...."Wish you'd just freak out!--freak out already"..."5am turn the radio up...where's the rock n roll?")

So, this one is for you.  If you know me.  If you have met me.  Held me, loved me or just had a deep friendship with me, then you know you are part of this group that will always be heard, and never be anything but loud, nitty-gritty, dirty, little freaks.  Andm if you are a part of that group, you are proud of it.  And you know that we will always be there for each other no matter what happens.  ("Call me up if you want gangster!")  There to celebrate the good news and to comfort when its not so good.  It's the support that has come from my geeky, nerdy friends that has made me understand with shocking clarity  that I'm never alone.  And so this is for all of you to remind you that you are not alone either.

Raise your glass, if you are wrong, in all the right ways!
And keep waving that rebel flag.  It will serve you well, in the end.

Cheers. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment