Sunday, August 11, 2013

Accepting The Calm

Rainy mornings are my favorites.  Waking up to a soft and gentle rain, like today, and sitting here with coffee and my macbook watching it build; soothes my mind from it usual morning worries.  It allows me to breathe in the scent of the earth, which makes me relax....and sneeze.  I love the smell of the earth after a good rain, when the sun comes out.  I always run to a window to look for the rainbow that I was told in Sunday school, and then later taught in science class, would be there.  And it always is, even if very faint.  I'm am reassured with the consistency of that promise of faith and science.  I've heard it said that if God has a scent it would be that aroma.  And I find it interesting that it is one of the scents that almost everyone loves.  Makes you wonder if that 'old wives tale' might be true.  I'm not one to believe in something I can't touch or prove.  But there is something about a rainbow that makes me wonder.  Gives me pause.  I debate with myself over it and cling to a slim belief that perhaps, someday, science will go so far as to prove the existence of God.  Wouldn't that be a kick in the head?

Being in a calm state like this, where I'm actually out of my head and it's daily worries, is not my natural state.  But I long for it, need it.  And have found only a handful of interests that help me acquire this state.  Most of them not as simple as a gentle rain, nor as free.  Nor as emotionally cleansing.  And I rarely find a person I can share this with.  I'm lucky to have found the few in my life that I have found.

The rain has mostly stopped now, and while the sun may not make it out the birds are already chirping in their morning bath.   And as usual, greeting the day way before I'm ready to join in.  I am looking forward to a very lazy day filled with whatever our hearts desire.  With little or no responsibilities, and much joy.  My hope is that everyone reading this will have the same experience before their worlds of drudgery call them to respond.

For me, just today, if you can, try to relax, breathe.  Without a schedule.  Just live.  Do yourself a favor.  Just Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment