Sunday, August 4, 2013

Perception vs Emotion

"Studies have shown that 90% of error in thinking is due to error in perception.  If you can change your perception, you can change your emotion and this can lead to new ideas" - Edward de Bono

I was recently challenged, last night in fact, with a thought that I figure I knew all along, but refused to trust enough.  Emotion clouds the mind, and heart sometimes, and perception is everything.  It really is.  I find I have been going through my life almost exclusively with my own perceptions.  I know you must be saying a variety of things in your mind right now, depending on where you are in your own personal journey.  Things like, "How stubborn or short sighted of you." or "That surprises me, you seem so open minded." or "How can you do anything else, for life is perception."  And I feel the same way.  

How can I go through my life so sure of myself and my opinions?  When intellectually I know that they are only my perceptions of whatever life is showing me right now.  That that perception could change in a heartbeat, and I could change my mind and have to restructure a lifetime, of beliefs.  I guess the only saving grace I have is that I'm not afraid to change my mind, or perceptions and opinions, when proven that I'm missing something.  I know that might be harder for some of you to do, or admit that you can do.  Perhaps its a gender thing.  After all they do say, "Its a woman's prerogative to change her mind." 

Does that mean it's not an option for men?  That they have to be right?  That their inborn need to be strong, and the hero, and save us, makes it impossible for them to be wrong?  For it they are proven to see their perceptions changed, does that mean they are weak and therefore unable to be our rocks, because they had to change their minds?  And women are flaky and fickle because they are adaptable?   I can't believe that it is that simple, nor should I or the above quote means less coming from a man.  

So it must be a bit of both, the gender thing, and a personal thing.  An inability to accept failure, or that we were wrong on a belief.  I suppose this is more difficult to accept the more serious the failure to understand is, or rather the more serious the repercussions of  my perceptions.

The interesting thing about change is that it is all perception.  It is a slow and meticulous process that strips down everything you believe only to have you rebuild.  And yet the process can be so subtle that we hardly ever notice that we are changing until we have changed.  And as I've said before, "Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose - RUSH "Circumstances" (The more things change, the more they stay the same.)

But as much as I love that quote, and respect it's author, I have to admit that while changing, I don't FEEL that.  I feel more like the more things change the more they FUCKING change!  But I can't say that in french.   I understand what it means, the more things change the more they stay the same.  Because after we change, and grow, it is the new perception of who we are.  So therefore the same.  But it's different too.  It's change.  And change is always good.  Even if you think it's the end of everything.  Its not.  It's just a new beginning.  A new perception of your universe.  And all that matters is YOUR universe.  

All that matters is your perception of your reality.  And how life and the decisions you make, change your perceptions.   Make you grow.  Make you move toward what pleases you.  This is a physical and emotional change.  That can be both conscious and sub-conscious.  For we really do create the reality we want to have.  We are aware, and we exist in the universe to be the wonderful individuals that we are.  NO ONE is exactly like you.  Even if you are a twin, you are unique and different among humans.  And you should revel in the joy that you are YOU.  

Never let anyone take your voice, your thoughts, or your beliefs and make you feel like they are not important, or that you are wrong.  Because your perceptions are right for the opinions you have RIGHT NOW.  I will warn you, that will change.  Your perceptions change constantly through your life until you die.  So you may believe without a shadow of doubt that you are right.  And you are.  But you might, in a heartbeat, change.  And guess what?  You're still right.  

I think it takes more strength to admit when your perceptions were wrong, than to be the one that changed them.  Because admitting that you may be wrong about a long held perception, takes guts.  Taking that step to be happy, or let go of prejudice, or forgive a long time grudge, this takes time, and understanding and love.  Not force, or preaching, or fear based experiments.  Be patient, breathe, and think.  The best way to effect change is to listen, watch and learn.  Then move toward what you want.  Perceive the reality you want to have, and it will come to you.  
....
wow...that sounded close to faith. 

Cheers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment