Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

It’s been a very interesting week.  Full of good news, and bad news and ugly news, but still a great week.  First the great news:  I’m cancer free!  You never know how worried you are about something until you stop worrying.  Waiting for the appointment for the biopsy and the test results has been a long two months.  And I didn’t even realized how worried I was until she said, “Nope, your fine.”  That very evening I went to Starbucks and the nice young man behind the counter gave me my coffee and treat for FREE!  The next day another young man gave me my tea at David’s Tea’s for FREE.  All for just being honest when they asked how I was doing.  How am I doing?  I’m still doing the happy dance.  And the celebration continues today with First Daughter at Navy Pier.

The bad news is I was hoping to see a couple of friends this spring and summer and it looks like the summer one has fallen through, and I was so hopeful.  But the spring one might still happen, maybe by summer, but we’ve put it off a lot and I’m trying to stay hopeful.

Now to the ugly news, to help celebrate I finally said yes to the man that’s been trying to get me to go out on a date with him.  We had two, and while the first one of an hour and a half at coffee at that Starbucks, was ok, and that may have been because I was in such a stellar mood.  The next night when he took me to a movie and dinner I was more than bored with his conversation.  I was offended.  More than once.  What is it about my generation?  I’m not homophobic, or conservative, or raciest.  But he sure had his moments when he was.  And it sucks because I expect more from the Me Generation.  After all we were the generation that Aids became and explosive epidemic.  Killing off celebrities in front of our eyes, many, many celebrities and unknowns alike.  And we watched the quilts grow and the lists grow and the parades grow.  And said good bye to family and friends alike. And realized that this horrible illness wasn’t being taken seriously or treated with the speed that it should have been given, until married, straight women started being the most infected.  They called it the gay cancer, and we were appalled.  I can’t believe that the topic of gay rights is still being argued over thirty years later.  And he was especially rude in the homophobic category, and I can’t have that again.  Mr. Charisma had that, and some more of his traits.  Like the very opinionated views on life.  But at least with Mr. Charisma there was some intellect to back up his statements, some science, even if it was skewed to his thinking, like most of his opinions.  Unfortunately for this new contender, he didn’t have the smarts to back up any of his opinions, and that is a huge turn off for me.  I may not have dated or married the greek god image, but I can say that while looks aren’t always the most important thing to me, a sexy brain is.  And this guy, even when he tried to be funny or flirty was offensive to me.  So I’m not calling him again, unless its to be a friend.  Although with so little in common I’d have to be pretty lonely to call him.  And I’m not.  I have many friends, all long distance, but still, they are there.  And I can visit.

So I’m looking forward to more great celebration with First Daughter and a day of sunshine, rides, cool shops, and great food.  And perhaps a nice view of the city, lake and some sailors.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment