Sunday, January 22, 2017

Chicago And Its Riot Free Women's March

I'm so proud of my city this weekend. And living in Chicago that's not something I always feel.  But yesterday 250,000 people flooded downtown Chicago for the Woman's March.  One of many cities world wide that showed up to be counted.  And no riots.  No violence.  A protective but almost invisible police presence protected the marchers as they peacefully protested not only this president and his verbal attacks on women, but his plans to take our rights away.  We fought hard for our reproductive rights and will fight hard to keep them.  Not to mention his verbal abuse and bragging about sexual assault.  

The press, his press, tried to call the marches the 'new tea party'.  As if we were fueled by money like they are.  As if all the races of women and men marching together were there for something other than their rights.  Fortunately most don't believe this attempt to marginalize the movement.  This is the grassroots of the democratic party.  The liberals have always been the heart of the democratic movement and this is just the beginning.  This is how patriotism starts when it's threatened.  We stand up and show our leaders how we will vote them out of power. 

I hope for a peaceful impeachment of Mr. Trump.  I hope that no one feels that assassination is the answer for I do not wish that upon anyone.  I hope for the checks and balances that our Constitution and our government has in place will help the democratic and republicans that do not agree with Mr. Trump's ideals, oust him from the Office of the President of the United States.  Which in my humble opinion he is grossly unqualified to hold. 

I think what makes most of us afraid of repeating history back to Germany at the rise of Hitler, is that he actually made it to a swearing in ceremony and is in charge.  Every morning I wake up knowing what side of WWII I would have been on had I been in Germany then.  For the United States of America is dangerously walking the same fine line of 'wait and see what happens'. 

This is the most dangerous thing we can do.  This is what a lot of Jewish German families did before Kristallnacht.  This is what I feel myself doing.  I'm too poor to donate, although if I could I would.  I have called my representatives and told them how to vote.  As a sufferer of enochlophobia or the fear of crowds, I was unable to attend when I heard the estimated turn out could be 50,000-80,000.  Chicago didn't expect the 250,000 to jam the trains and buses and streets for most of Saturday as our city showed up to be counted.  I was there with you in spirit, my friends.  And overjoyed to see your pictures and happy faces.  I smiled with you and felt your joy from a safe, panic free, distance.  Knowing I'm not alone in my phobia, I wondered to myself how many like me stayed away not from beliefs but out of a fear of panic. 

Thank you Chicago for making yesterday a violence free march of safety for a few of our citizens to express their peaceful outrage at our President, his cabinet, and the majority of the House and Senates, plans to gut our freedoms and rights for the almighty dollar and acquisition of more money; instead of protecting our planet and all it's citizens no matter their tax bracket or color of skin. 





No comments:

Post a Comment