Sunday, February 19, 2017

Be Afraid The Flu Is EVERYWHERE

I feel like I just survived the tube neck flu from The Stand.  Since Wednesday evening I've been the sickest I've ever been with the flu, in my life.  And today, Sunday, is the first day I've actually felt like doing the dishes and cooking for myself.  Although I had to try and cook for myself by Saturday as I fainted that morning from lack of protein.  Twice. 

It's hard to take good care of yourself when you have a 102.9 fever.  That was what it peaked at on Friday morning before it finally broke.  I was on 48 hours of lying in bed with said fever, freezing then burning up, and the muscle aches.  OMG.  Like all my nerve endings were on fire, just tingled every time I tried to move or just tried to breathe.  And breathing wasn't all that easy with all the mucus.  How can sinus cavity hold so much?!  My cough I kept loose with asthma meds and my inhaler and homemade remedies which were not easy to make with a fever, but I did.  Onions, garlic minced up with a shit ton of sugar to create a syrup.  Pineapple juice was a constant companion those first 24 hours as was any juice and water that I could get my hands on.  I was lucky enough to hydrate in those first two days.   I think Thursday, I remember eating a jar of peanuts, thinking the protein will be good.  And Friday some kind of frozen meal I happened to have.  But I honestly didn't have the strength or will or appetite to eat anything.  I lost 10 pounds in three days.

So by Friday late morning when the fever broke, I was weak and dizzy as I headed to the bathroom for stage two of whatever bug I have.  I passed out while sitting there and for a moment thought I fell back asleep or had a reaction to the cough meds my doctor gave me from before.  I stumbled back to bed and feel back asleep.  But the scary part was Saturday morning.

As I woke up and decided I should refill the water pitcher before I spend most of Saturday in the bathroom, I fainted again.  And it wasn't like last night, where I felt kind of dizzy sitting there, and could see the blackness approaching.  I was standing there using a glass to fill my pitcher since the sink was full of dishes.  (I have a tiny sink and kitchen so it gets full after one meal, and these were left over from Wednesday, when I had planned to do them, but my fever had other plans).  Anyway, I was just standing there one minute, and the next minute I opened my eyes and I was lying on the kitchen floor wondering what that running water sound was and why I had decided to take a nap.  I also my large cooking knife that I had used to mince up the onions and garlic on Thursday, was laying across my calf.  Funny.  I didn't remember picking it up before I fainted.  And the glass I had been holding while filling the pitcher was in the sink where the knife was and water splashed around.  Almost like, you guessed it.  The glass fell from my hand and hit the knife making it spring out of the sink and fall to the floor with me as I fainted, landing like a feather against my calf instead of a spear.  I was so lucky it hadn't skewered me. 

I immediately forced myself to make chicken noodle soup for breakfast and eat it.  And I made lunch of fish and chips and ate them too.  I hope I can stop spending so much time in the bathroom today.  My annual physical appointment is tomorrow and I hope there is nothing else but the flu wrong with me, but I'll be sure and retell this story with many more gross details to the doctor tomorrow.  They need those details.  You don't. 

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment