Sunday, February 12, 2017

Breathe And Don't Be Scared, It's Just Life

Why are we all so afraid?  And not just with the political atmosphere, but with life in general?  Is it just 'us' that are afraid, or are 'they' afraid too?  I used to feel fearless compared to the worries I have today.  Of course that was when I was a child and didn't know the ways of the world.  Now I wonder how I had the courage to even have children much less raise them alone in a world like this.  When a young couple tell me "I don't know if I can bring a child into a world filled with so much hate."  I now nod in understanding where thirty years ago I would have scoffed.  It's funny how age and maturity change your views on life.  I'm sure it's why most young people aren't as cynical as the older generations tend to be. 

It's not that we want to be cynical or laugh at your great epiphany, it's just that we've seen that all before.  With life, you get a lot of chance to make the same mistake.  In fact some believe that's all life is.  Your soul has an assignment.  To learn how it feels to be human.  In all it's possibilities.   And depending on your lot in life, you get the chance to change and grow.  To see if you have learned the great lesson of your life, you will be given similar opportunities, choices.  And if you  make the wrong choice you will eventually find yourself in the same situation again.  It's why you see some people saying, "Why does this always happen to me?"  Well, it might be because you aren't making the right choice.  So, lucky you, you are getting another chance.

My twenties had a theme like this.  And when I finally made the right choice in my mid thirties, I got a whole new set of life hurdles.  It took me until my early fifties to make the right choice and grow again.  Now I await, with somewhat bated breath, to see what life choices I get now.  And being in a good place now, I hope it's not too life changing.  Although I believe when we stop being challenged by life is when we are close to death, so bring on the challenges. 

For the first time in over a year, I'm in a very good place and I want it to continue.  So I am going to keep doing what I'm doing and hope I've made the right choice for me.  You see, I've stopped living for others, and now am living for me.  Being selfish, you might say.  Which is something I've always thought was wrong,  But maybe Mr. Selfish had a good point about self love and self preservation.  I'm a nurturer by nature, but sometimes you have to put that away and allow people to find their own way, and watch.  And listen.  And learn. 

It's less scary that way.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment