Sunday, May 7, 2017

Find Something You Are Passionate About And Do That

In a past life I must have been one of idle rich and childless. . . and hated it.  For in this life I have been showered with children to love and raise and had to work for everything I have.  And I love it.  I wouldn't trade it.  Not a single day of the satisfaction that I feel after juggling a months pay to cover everything and still have food to eat.  Of knowing that I can face the challenge, alone, and succeed, something the privileged rich never feel.  Not a single day of the little giggles and wide-eyed explanations of something they just figured out.  Or the endless stories or performances they put on for me.  Not a single minute.

The children I've been blessed to raise, both born of my body and all the godchildren and ones I've nannied for, or just loved because they love me, are the bright lights in my world.  I feel most comfortable and at home with them.  They don't lie to me and they don't have ulterior motives for being nice to me.  They love without prejudice and without judgement.  And their quick minds, full of questions, keep me young.  They have all kept me moving in my life when I might have just stopped and given up.

To all my children everywhere both little still and grown, I know you are the future and the saving of this world.  And I'm honored to have helped mold more than one generation on this planet.  To introduce you to the books and movies that will spark your imagination.  And the games that will challenge your logic and thinking outside the box (D&D anyone?) To nurture the interests you find on your own and discover a whole new world of things I never might have tried.  I hope to be able to do what I love, raise children, for many more years before my body won't allow me to try.

Yesterday I had the honor to experience with Beatle Boy and his mom, the matinee performance of his very first musical, Cinderella.  And it was the most joyous thing I have done in months.  It brought tears to my eyes, and I'm sure his mom is grateful to know that they chose a nanny that loves their children as her own.  He was wonderful.  He stayed in character, until he saw me, then he smiled a little, but covered quick.  And didn't look over at us again until he was taking his bows.  A real professional, knowing he'd smile he just took the temptation away.  Smart kid.  And one of only three kindergartners in the show.  He had two parts, 'little boy' and 'horse'.  He had the only spoken funny line in the opening song, and he was a very focused horse.  He was the only one that did all of the choreography, and didn't mouth the other persons lines.  A hard thing at 6.  I was so proud.  And I can't wait to see what he and his little sister show me as they grow up.  I know I wont be with them for too many more years, perhaps one and a half more before they may not need me full time.  I've watched them grow for the last three years now into respectful and polite children.  But I try not to think about the time we might have left and experience every day.  And I try to stay confident that when it's time to move on, much like Nanny McVee, or Mary Poppins, I'll find another family that needs me as much as I need them.

"Hey! Miss Jill, Who's the greatest Nanny in the world?"
"I don't know, Jude, Mary Poppins?"
"Nope"
"Um...Nanny McVee?"
"NO"
"Maria from the Sound of Music?"
"NOOO.  YOU!" 
"Awe...thanks, Jude."

I am so blessed.  And apparently the greatest nanny in the world. 
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment