Sunday, May 5, 2013

Go Your Own Way, Sara, but don't forget The Chain - Fleetwood Mac

Last Sunday I was reminded by Fleetwood Mac, to live my own life, but more importantly to let others live theirs.  This might sound like common sense to most of you, but to me it is a constant battle to not worry and not control what others do.  I know, right?  Like I can control what others are going to do anyway.  But like most control freaks, I believe that somehow, my opinion makes a difference for the ones that love me, and the ones I love. But what I've come to understand is that it doesn't, that sometimes, love just ain't enough.  Sometimes you have to let go, of everything, control, worry, all of it.  And just breathe and see what happens.  Give people a chance to surprise you, they might not do what your worst fears are, and therefore you need not control.  (or try to).  Give people a chance to prove you wrong, and while you are waiting, just be.  Don't plot, don't plan, and don't try to advise them on what you think might be best for their life.  Even if you think you know better!  WARNING --this is still control.  Or at least an attempt at control.

Its the hardest lesson to learn for people like me. (Ultra organized, nurturing, and large hearted). See,we care the most, and that's why we want to make sure everything is just right for those we love.  Unfortunately our constant questions, immediate assumptions, experience (that's a huge one to overcome....our experiences are not the same) and fear of the 'x' factor, can make some people run scared, or just drift away.

The other thing I've come to realize is that real love, real fondness for another person, just does not go away because the person does.  Just because that man had to walk away, for whatever reason, does not mean that his heart is not with me.  Fleetwood Mac reminded me of this as well, with almost every song that Stevie and Lindsey sang to each other...and yes they still sing to each other, after all this time.  After all this love and heartache, they still respect what they had, both the good and the bad.

Finally seeing them, and getting to enjoy one of my favorite bands sing all of my favorite songs, was an experience I will never forget.  And I hope to take the lessons they taught me, and grow. I've always related to their music and lyrics, and now I feel that I understand exactly why.  Go Your Own Way, Sara, but don't forget The Chain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwP-LoNWeIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTfFvxA6gb0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5yHUUQYg7s

No comments:

Post a Comment