Sunday, October 6, 2013

JEEP!

A lot happened again this week on the Mr. Charisma front, but I'm not talking about that, because there is nothing I can do for him.  And it only makes me sad.  

This week I'm going to share with you my first test drive.  Not a test drive from work, like every day for a customer deciding on a car.  But a REAL test drive, of a prototype vehicle from my training class on Friday.  I can't show you any pictures of video, because well, I didn't take any.  But also because it's a prototype and we weren't allowed.  But I wish I could have.  The vehicle was the new Jeep Cherokee that is coming out at the end of the year.  And the three classes on technology, capability and safety were informative.  Took a ton of notes that I didn't end up needing because they gave us a goodie bag at the end, and one of the items in it was a preloaded JEEP flash-drive of the print material.  (My favorite was the JEEP hat!  Score!)  After all the training, my group moved on to the drive.  Two obstacles courses awaited me.  One was the 4WD course and the other was the speed course.  I've never been on a professional test drive of a vehicle before it was deemed ready for the public.  Was very exciting.  Not to get into selling mode here, but the new Jeep Cherokee has three different drive systems in it for 4WD, the Active Drive 1, Active Drive 2 and Lock.  We tested all the base 4WD, Active Drive 1's.  and WOW.  OMG I can't imagine needing more power,  or ground clearance than that.
There were five different "terrain" sections on the 4WD course:
1. one uneven ramp to simulate 2 and 1 WD.  So the Jeep is tilted to one wheel going over it, all four times.
2.  Mt. Jeep, to simulate a steep uphill and plateau, then down hill.  Was like driving over a garage.
3. several very thick ropes in S curves to simulate a river bed
4.  about 10 feet of huge boards, like 2x4s but much thicker and in different depths, to simulate a very rough road.
5 speed bumps, to simulate well, speed bumps.

We drove that course four times in groups of two for the 6 cylinder and the 4 cylinder....once as a passenger once as the driver.   Watching the other students do the course was the scariest for me, as I have very old experience with 4WD.  You know the 70's kind of 4WD....get out, lock the hubs, get back in, go.  This is all automatic.  We didn't even have it set for mud, snow, sport, or rock.  We had it set on auto.  And the Jeep just knew what to do, by the way the wheels spun. Then the differential would take over, and apply the power to the wheels that were actually able to get traction, while breaking would automatically clamp down on the spinning wheel to put power where you needed it to keep moving forward.  Keep moving forward....that's my motto right now.  Or rather, Jeeps motto....Life is calling.  I like that one too.

Anyway this was my very first drive, and I was nervous.  But I didn't topple one cone, and the professional drivers they have guiding you from the outside, like for airline pilots at take off, were great.    I was amazed that I didn't have to do anything, but use some common sense.  Not floor it.  :)  Just a slight suggestion of acceleration and the Jeep did the rest and got me out of every one of the simulated road hazards.  Of course with Jeep they aren't hazards, they are fun!  And I thought I wanted one before the class.  It was like a roller coaster.  Filled with awe and amazement and wanting to keep going again and again.

The speed course also had five challenges:
1 & 2.. Hard acceleration to a accident avoidance swerve lane change and hard break
3. Sound test over pavement breaks like on a highway
4.  Slalom
5. 10 mile and hour pot holes

In the speed test we got to drive a Jeep, Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRX and Ford Escape.  And none of them had the acceleration, or control of the Jeep.  None of them could even do the first two of the 4WD test and had to drive around them both to the last three easy ones.  And on the boards they bottomed out!    I know all these other SUVs claim they can do and have what Jeep has, but their testing is not like ours and they can't do as much as easily.  I was very impressed with my brand vs the others and found that information very valuable for my customers who are shopping.

On the speed course I lost a few cones, but we all did.  We were in groups of four for that course, and all of us in our team were very different drivers.  The aggressive driver in my group pushed each car to it's limits much more than I did.  But by the third drive through, I had found my comfort zone and pushed the Jeep to the limits on the slalom.  He said, "You'll never make it"  I could see out of the corner of my eye my shotgun grab the "oh shit handles"  as I maneuvered it steering sharply between the slalom curves,  the Jeep responded to my slightest suggestion and I didn't loose a cone.  He yelled with glee from the back seat as if I were his little sister getting it down from his example, "You made it!  Good Job!"  We all laughed like kids.  The girl can drive.  ;)

All in all a long day but a very fun one, full of meeting new people and driving.  (Two additional paragraphs on how I'm REALLY feeling deleted.  YAY personal growth!)

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment