Sunday, December 1, 2013

Why Do We Wait Until The Holidays To Reach Out

It seems like it happens every year, and maybe that's why we look forward to the holidays so much.  But every year, I have some friends and well, family yes...they are like family, these friends.  And they seem to pop into my life all of a sudden, from Thanksgiving to New Years.  I look forward to catching up with them every season, and every season I promise myself I'll stay in touch more, not let so much time go by without a visit or a trip to see them over a weekend.  That I won't miss another birthday party, or special event in their lives just because I'm so damn busy all the time with my own shit.

This holiday, Thanksgiving is the appropriate kick off to that season for me.  And I am thankful for all of those family-friends that are in my life.  Thanksgiving day, I cooked for my daughter and Mr. Charisma.  This is what is feels like to be in love and not have to sneak around.  I had forgotten how happy I could be if I let myself.  That was family time.

Then it was Friday, and one of my best girlfriends, She of Little Combat Boots and her husband The PunMaster (sorry Bobby)  were in town for Thanksgiving with their wonderful children.  After a turkey day with her mom and dad, they decided to head downtown.

And as it happens we ran into another old family-friend that I had not seen in 20 years, he's not from around here, Mr. Alien, but he sure was fun to visit with and surprise.  It took him a good 20 minutes ( a minute a year, hum) to admit he didn't remember me, but when prompted, it all came rushing back like a tidal wave of memories and good times.

 I never thought I'd ever see him again in my life, and there he was.  Funny what this season does, isn't it?  Strange the people it pulls together tighter, and the ones that it rips apart with disasters of bad decisions or bad luck or both.  How the worst situation in your life might be the best thing that ever happened to you.  Might pull you closer to the people you are too busy for, the family-friends that stand by you when in pain.  This season brings that out in us too.  But why do we wait?  Why do we all keep some of the most special people in our hearts, out of our lives until The Holidays?

I hope this feeling of wanting to stay connected will keep me in touch more with my family-friends.  I know its always my goal, even when I fail.  I hope that this season pulls you to where your heart needs you to be, and doesn't rip you away from where it lives.  This is the season of love and forgiveness and understanding.  I want that season every day.  And this weekend has shown me just how special my family is.  And how much I treasure them.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment